Friday, July 17, 2009

Giving up "Stuff"

While on vacation I read the book Crazy Love by Francis Chan, and was I EVER challenged. It's made me think about my commitment to Christ. Is He everything? Am I willing to give up stuff so that I can love Him on a more intimate level? What if he asks me to give up stuff that means sacrificing things I like?
Over the last month the Lord has been asking Verda and I to give up something that would mean sacrificing "stuff." God and I have had a few wresting matches over it, I think we're okay with it. Why is sacrificing stuff so hard when we know it is what He desires? Paul reminds us in Philippians that if we want to experience an intimate relationship with Him it will require sacrifice, suffering and possibly death. The beautiful thing is that we will one day experience the resurrection and eternal life with Him. Yes giving up stuff is well worth the sacrifice, that is what radical obiedence is all about.

Philippians 3:10 ( TMSG ) I gave up all that inferior stuff so I could know Christ personally, experience his resurrection power, be a partner in his suffering, and go all the way with him to death itself.

No comments:

Post a Comment